The Barloworld Worldwide Code of Conduct, supports the group’s commitment to sustainable development. ‘Sustainability’ is included in the Code as one of the group’s five core Values that informs employees’ individual and collective behaviour.
Barloworld recognises that stakeholder interests are best served through an integrated and coordinated value creation approach addressing economic, environmental and social aspects.
Ongoing stakeholder engagement enables us to identify and understand stakeholder value, distils material issues for the group and directs focus.
Areas requiring management attention as well as strategic opportunities are highlighted through robust strategic planning and risk identification processes. These processes are entrenched at divisional and group levels within the organisation.
Barloworld understands that our people are the foundation of our success and that our continued success rests on our ability to attract, develop and retain globally competitive people. The group is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and believes that its profile should represent the demographics of the societies in which it operates.
Climate change and environmental considerations are central components of the group’s ethos of responsible and responsible citizenship programme. Mindful of the environmental consequences of our activities we are committed to conducting our operations in an environmentally responsible manner and delivering integrated customer solutions that assist our customers to achieve their own environmental impact minimisation objectives.
Also central to its’ responsible citizenship programme is the group’s corporate social investment activities in response to the socio-economic development imperative to empower previously disadvantaged individuals and uplift communities in South Africa, to the benefit of all.
In line with our commitment to responsible citizenship programme, we are a signatory of the Energy Efficiency Accord with the Department of Energy in South Africa. We are a member of the South African National Business Initiative’s Energy Efficiency Leadership Network and have signed its Energy Efficiency Pledge.
- The Dow Jones Sustainability Emerging Markets Index
- FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Top 30 Index
The group is committed to transparent integrated reporting and in addition to its printed 2017 Integrated Report, it has a set of responses to the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines which expand the group’s sustainability reporting and include a wide range of environmental, social and governance aspects. These responses supplement our various individual reports.
The group is committed to responsible business conduct and legal compliance, and complies with King IV.
The above, together with our Code of Ethics, Worldwide Code of Conduct and related policies ensure our commitment to sustainable development is entrenched throughout our group and enhance our long-term value creation capability for all our stakeholders.
- Stakeholder engagement
- Barloworld climate change policy
- Barloworld energy efficiency policy
- Barloworld environmental policy
- Barloworld water use and management policy
- Barloworld waste management policy
- Barloworld’s 2017 CDP climate change disclosure
- Barloworld’s 2017 CDP water disclosure
- Code of ethics
- Barloworld’s alignment to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals
- Barloworld Strategy
- Chief executive’s sustainable development message
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) content index
- Barloworld 2017 Integrated report
- Sustainability video
- Barloworld 10 Pillars of Sustainability
- Barloworld Worldwide Code Of Conduct – Sustainability
- Barloworld solar panels – Barloworld Equipment & Barloworld Power
- Barloworld Solar PV video
- Reducing our environmental footprint and management our impact