1. WHAT IS A SOCIAL ENTERPRISE?
Barloworld Mbewu subscribes to the following definition of what a social enterprise is:
- It is a mission or purpose driven organisation that seeks to solve a social challenge
- By using entrepreneurial skills, it practices a blended operating model balancing for profit and for social impact
- It is an organisation that reinvests any surpluses, generated in the enterprise, into greater social impact creation
- In simpler terms, a social enterprise is a very special type of business, one that often services the underserved in society, it is a type of operating model that combines for-profit and non-profit models. In other words, it offers products or services to customers who are not necessarily able to afford them from anyone else. The social enterprise balances the social impact it creates with the profit it makes and should there be any financial surpluses, those surpluses flow back into the enterprise so that it can make a greater social impact
2. WHAT KIND OF FUNDING DOES BARLOWORLD MBEWU OFFER?
- The Barloworld Mbewu programme will individually assess the needs of the applying social enterprise and the individual stage and development of the enterprise is taken into account. Support is tailored to each social enterprises' individual stage of business and its readiness to scale
3. HOW LONG DOES THE PROGRAMME RUN FOR?
- The Barloworld Mbewu incubation will be tailored to the social enterprise stage of development and starts with committed incubation for at least 12 months. At Barloworld we believe that the social enterprise, the entrepreneur and environment (which includes beneficiaries of product and service) must work hand in hand and that an enabling ecosystem remains our biggest opportunity
- The successful applicant will enter into a relationship with Barloworld and will be supported through the targeted interventions:
- Tailor made capacity building and business incubation support specifically designed for the social enterprise
- Funding based on the enterprise ability to scale up their positive impact on communities
- Facilitated access to additional support from our strategic partners
4. WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO ENTER?
- South African citizens only and priority will be given to:
- Youth owned
- Women owned
- People with disability-owned organisations
5. WHEN DOES THE PROGRAMME APPLICATION PERIOD CLOSE?
- The Barloworld Mbewu application portal closes at midnight on 31 July 2019. Approved social enterprises will be invited to The Big Pitch where they will meet the Barloworld adjudicators. The Big Pitch takes place from 21 to 22 August 2019 in Johannesburg
6. I CAN'T REMEMBER MY PASSWORD
7. I CAN'T LOG INTO MY ACCOUNT
I can't log into my account
If you are having trouble logging into your account, you may be using the incorrect password. Please click here to reset your password and try logging in again. If however, you know that your password is correct but you are still receiving a login error message, you might be using the wrong email address. Please try using another email address that you might have used to register your Mbewu account. If you are still having trouble logging in, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us on 0800 233 733 and request assistance.
8. I'M NOT RECEIVING AN EMAIL TO RESET MY PASSWORD
After you have clicked on the reset password link and entered your email address, the system will generate an automated email that contains a link to reset your password. This email is typically received within 1 or 2 minutes after clicking the 'Reset' button. There are typically three reasons that may result in you not receiving this email:
- You have entered the wrong email address - Please ensure that you entered the same email address that you used to register your Mbewu account with.
- The server is experiencing a high volume of traffic - Depending on server traffic, there can be a delay in the time that the server sends out automated emails. This typically is not an issue, but please give the server 30 minutes to send out the link before contacting us.
- Your mailbox is blocking the email - Stringent mail rules may cause the automated email to go into your junkmail. Please check your junk mail for the automated mail before contacting us
If you are still having trouble resting your password, please send an email to email@example.com or contact us 0800 233 733 and request us to reset your password
9. I CAN'T EDIT MY APPLICATION FORM
The Mbewu application process has been designed to allow applicants to save their application form and return to it at a later stage. However, once the applicant has submitted their application form for adjudication, the form becomes no longer editable and form fields can only be viewed. If you have accidently submitted your form for adjudication, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us on 0800 233 733.
10. I CAN'T SUBMIT MY APPLICATION FORM
The Mbeuw application form contains specifically identified fields (marked with a red *) to be completed in order to submit the form for adjudication. Please ensure that these fields are filled in prior to submitting the form. If you are unsure of the response to the question or the question does not apply to you, please insert N/A into the field or indicate that the field is not relevant to your response.