Krishna Govender representing the Illovo Contract Germiston Bulk Sugar Depot – Automotive and Logistics division (Logistics)
“A winner never stops trying.” Tom Landry
People are Barloworld’s strategic advantage. One thing we have done very well for the past 112 years is attract great people to our organisation.
Barloworld believes in making a world of difference to all our stakeholders by exceeding expectations in the provision of innovative, value-adding solutions. Our Value Based Management approach centres on long-term, positive outcomes for those that interact with the organisation. At Barloworld, we’re proud to inspire some of the most incredible employees who go above and beyond the call of duty to make a world of difference.
The 2014 CEO Award went to our Logistics team responsible for managing Illovo’s Germiston Bulk Sugar Depot. Our winning team has an astonishing array of achievements and awards under its belt and continues to add sustainable value, day in and day out, as you will see below.
Krishna Govender representing the Illovo Contract Germiston Bulk Sugar Depot
– Automotive and Logistics division (Logistics)
- Illovo Supplier of the year in 2006, 2008, 2012 and 2013;
- Achieved Platinum status for operational excellence;
- Achieved world class benchmarks for customer service
- Achieved on time deliveries of 99.5% and order fulfilment rate of 100%;
- Winner of several NOSA Excellence Awards for SHE performance;
- Outstanding management of Illovo contract through transport industry strikes;
- Generated revenue of R3.4 billion and profit of R161 million since contract inception
- Winner of the 2014 Barloworld CEO Award.
The team based at Illovo’s Germiston Bulk Sugar Depot forms part of the Supply Chain Management business unit within Barloworld Logistics. The 25-strong team is the sweetest ingredient in this sugar storage and bulk handling facility, where it provides unparalleled customer service.
Barloworld Logistics manages the depot, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on behalf of Illovo. This is a critical supply point to Illovo’s industrial customers such as ABI (bottlers of Coca Cola), National Brands and SA Breweries in Gauteng and surrounding areas.
The depot’s CEO Award nomination follows sustained outstanding performance over the last three years. The team lives all Barloworld’s values and constantly WOWS the client, Illovo, and its customers with their extraordinary achievements and superior service levels.
The total Illovo contract has generated R3.4 billion in revenue and R161 million in profit before interest and tax since inception, thereby adding significant value to our shareholders as well as the customer.
Our team won Illovo’s Supplier of the Year Award in 2006, 2008, 2012 and 2013 the contract has been extended by five years - a sustained relationship of 15 years. This success has enabled Barloworld Logistics to leverage business in other areas, notably Zambia Sugar where the contract was extended by three years to 2017, again without going to tender.
Operational achievements of this team in the last 12 months include:
- Score of 3.28 in 2014 Barloworld IPM which measures employee engagement;
- Operational Excellence Lean Concepts Platinum Status;
- Marsh Audit – achieved 99% in June 2014 – Marsh is an external service provider that does risk audits for Illovo for insurance compliance;
- NOSA – achieved 5 star rating in health, safety and risk audit;
- NOSA excellence award – at the NOSA banquet in June 2014 the Germiston depot took first place in three categories;
- ISO 9001 accreditation – systems and documentation accreditation;
- ISO 22 000 accreditation – food safety accreditation;
- DIFR – zero injury for 27 months;
- 96% in Barloworld health, safety and risk audit;
- 99% in Coca Cola audit in 2013 and the auditors were so impressed that they gave the depot clearance for three years until 2016.